Aptitude Test / SPHAIR
The Aptitude Test gives an indication about the candidate, whether he/she has the necessary basic knowledge in order to follow the theoretical subjects and the complex practical exercises of the training programme. The resulting tests follow the requirements of EASA part FCL. Additionally, a positive Aptitude Test increases the likelihood of the candidate to successfully complete the programme, and that the candidate will be selected for a pilot position thereafter.
The assessment procedure consists of tests in mathematics, geometry/trigonometry, physics, and algebra. A comprehensive English test is of great importance. Furthermore, the HUPEX (Human Potential Explorer) test is a powerful, culture-independent PC tool for measuring situational awareness under stress.
Prerequisite for the Aptitude Test are sufficient English language skills. These need to be proven by providing certificate of a recognised institute with minimum CEFR level B2 or a "First Certificate".
English-Tests may be conducted through the following providers, among others:
Native English-speakers may provide a diploma of an English-language secondary school (high school, IB, A-levels) or university (bachelor) as an alternative.
Our students need to follow some courses in German and we therefore require a German level of at least B2. This will be assessed after the Aptitude Test, during the training interview.
The corresponding certificates are to be uploaded upon registration for the Aptitude test.
The Aptitude Test is administered in two parts:
- Knowledge in physics, trigonometry and mathematics according to EASA Part FCL.
- Additionally, we offer an online preparation course (CHF 79.00) for this part of the Aptitude Test. Please chose the option "APTITUDE TEST INCL. PREPARATION" in this case.
- Psychological Test (AMI): determines a brief psychological profile and the performance motivation of a candidate
- Equipment-Test HUPEX: The HUman Potential EXplorer is a PC based equipment, which determines the ability of orientation in complex systems, decision-making and stress-resistance.
- Please indicate your desired date for the In-House Tests at the enrolment to the Aptitude Test. Testing can be conducted Mondays through Fridays during regular office hours.
Procedure with an unrestricted SPHAIR recommendation:
- An unlimited recommendation from SPHAIR replaces the aptitude test according to Part FCL for becoming an airline pilot. In case your English level is found to be insufficient according to SPHAIR, Horizon requires you to present an English certificate at least level B2 according to CEFR. Please submit your entire SPHAIR report. Horizon SFA will get in touch with you in order to arrange a training interview (the interview will be conducted in German).